Is falconry for you? Not sure how to get started and want to learn more? Sign up of our next Falconry Orientation Workshop on April 6, 2019 near Guelph . This full-day workshop is a great opportunity for newcomers (with or without a sponsor), those thinking about getting into the sport, and those who would like a refresher course on some of the basics from experienced falconers.
Some of the topics under discussion will be:
- Falconry is hunting with a bird of prey. Is falconry for me?
- Finding a sponsor and MNR requirements, including a Small Game Hunting license
- Species used in falconry and what is best suited to the novice hunter
- Weight management of hunting raptors
- Facilities and equipment- the expense involved, and how to build a safe mews
- Handling a raptor
- Hunting with a bird of prey- feathered quarry (ducks, crows, starlings) vs fur (squirrels, rabbits)
We are fortunate that speakers will include some of the most experienced and highly respected falconers in the province. They have extensive knowledge of both Harris hawks and red-tailed hawks, and have hunted rabbits and squirrels as well as having flown large falcons on ducks and Hungarian partridge.
In the morning, we will discuss many of the topics related to acquiring and hunting with a bird of prey. After lunch (which is included with registration), there will be a hands-on component involving looking at various pieces of equipment and gear, tying a falconers knot, and a demonstration of how to handle a hawk.
Please note: Participants will not be handling any birds of prey. The setting is a classroom-like environment– in the morning there is a Powerpoint presentation and in the afternoon there are break-out sessions where you are free to talk with individual falconers on a variety of topics, handle the falconry gear and ask specific questions.
The workshop fee is $125.00 for non-OHC members and $ 90.00 for OHC members (who were existing OHC members in good standing as of January 1). The workshop fee includes lunch, numerous hand-outs and a relevant publication.
The workshop is open to all members of the Ontario Hawking Club (who were members as of the beginning of the calendar year), and non-members, as space permits. Participants must be at least 16 years old.
The deadline for signing up is two weeks prior to the workshop date. Registration begins at 8:30AM on the day of the workshop, and the workshop runs from 9:00AM-4:00PM.
The workshops usually sell-out and registrations are taken on “first-come, first-served basis.”
All registrants must pay on-line prior to the event. Unfortunately, payment on the morning of the event cannot be accommodated.
If cancellations are made more than 48 hours prior to the event, we will refund you fully.
If you cancel less than 48 hours before the event, no refund will be issued but you will have the opportunity to attend the workshop on another date (at no cost).
How to Registration
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a place in the workshop.
- After you have been in touch with the administrator of the program to confirm that we have room and that the offering is an appropriate match of skill-level and expectation, an email containing a link to the payment page will be sent to you.
- Once you have paid for the course, more details will be sent to you, including the location.